Clean Transportation Plan
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (DOT) must develop and submit a state-wide Clean Transportation Plan (Plan) by April 7, 2023, to meet North Carolina’s emission reduction and zero emission vehicle (ZEV) goals. The Plan must recommend actionable strategies for decarbonizing the transportation sector by:
- Increasing ZEV availability, sales, and usage to levels beyond current market projections;
- Reducing statewide vehicle miles traveled;
- Investing in clean transportation infrastructure;
- Increasing equitable access to clean mobility options;
- Increasing availability of non-vehicle transportation modes; and,
- Transitioning registered vehicles to zero- and low-emission fuels.
The Plan must also include considerations for transitioning medium- and heavy-duty (MHD) vehicles to ZEVs, as directed by the state’s participation in the Multi-State MHD ZEV Memorandum of Understanding.
(Reference Executive Order 80, 2018, and Executive Order 246, 2022)