High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) and High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lane Exemption
Compressed natural gas, hydrogen, electric, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles meeting specified California and federal emissions standards and affixed with a California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Clean Air Vehicle sticker may use HOV lanes regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle. DMV issues Red Clean Air Vehicle stickers to applicants that have not already been issued a White or Green Clean Air Vehicle sticker, with the exception of the instances mentioned below. Stickers are valid through the following dates:
- Stickers issued for Model Year 2004 or earlier vehicles, regardless of the issue date, expire January 1, 2019;
- Stickers issued before March 1, 2018, expire January 1, 2019;
- Stickers issued between March 1, 2018, and January 1, 2019, expire January 1, 2022;
- Stickers issued on or after March 1, 2018, for a vehicle that had previously been issued a sticker between January 1, 2017, and March 1, 2018, expire January 1, 2022; and
- Stickers issued on or after January 1, 2019, expire January 1, 2023.