Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Definition
A PEV is defined as a vehicle that:
- Draws electricity from a battery with a capacity of at least four kilowatt-hours and is capable of being charged from an external source
- Has not been modified from the original equipment manufacturer power train specifications
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less
- Has a maximum speed of at least 65 miles per hour
- Meets applicable requirements in Title 49 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, section 571.