Alternative Fuel Dealer and Commercial User License

Need Help? Something Missing?

Email the Technical Response Service or call 800-254-6735.

Alternative fuel dealers and alternative fuel commercial users must apply for a license from the Michigan Department of Treasury. Commercial users are defined as those operating vehicles with three or more axles, or two axles and a gross vehicle weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds, that operate in more than one state. Alternative fuel dealers must pay a license fee of $500 and commercial users must pay a license fee of $50. For the purpose of this requirement, alternative fuels include natural gas, propane, hydrogen, and hythane. (Reference Michigan Compiled Laws 207.1151, 207.1153, and 207.211)