State Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) and Infrastructure Deployment Requirements
Massachusetts executive branch agencies and public institutions of higher education must collectively work to meet the following targets, to the extent feasible:
Acquire ZEVs so that the total state fleet consists of:
- 5% ZEVs in 2025;
- 20% ZEVs in 2030;
- 75% ZEVs in 2040; and
- 100% ZEVs in 2050
- Fiscal year (FY) 2023, all vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds (lbs.) or less.
- FY 2025, all vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. or less.
- FY 2030, all vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. or more.
- 350 EV charging stations in 2025; and
- 500 EV charging stations in 2030.
Police vehicles are exempt from these requirements, but public safety agencies are encouraged to meet these requirements as long as vehicles meet operational needs.
Additional conditions apply. For more information, see the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources Leading by Example Program website.
(Reference Executive Order 594, 2021)