Zero Emission School Bus Acquisition and Working Group
Beginning in 2035, 75% of school bus acquisitions must be zero emission school buses. The Office of Policy Innovation and the Future will convene a working group to:
- Review different types of zero emission school buses and the benefits and challenges associated with each technology;
- Analyze financing options for the acquisition of zero emission school buses;
- Engage electric utilities and other private entities that are interested in partnering with school administrators to acquire zero emission school buses;
- Plan for the deployment of charging infrastructure to support zero emission school buses; and,
- Assess training and education options for zero emission school bus use and maintenance.
- The working group must report their findings in a plan to the Maine Joint Standing Committee on Transportation by December 7, 2022.
The Maine Board of Education may obtain loans or enter into a lease-purchase agreement to acquire zero emission school buses. The term of the loan or lease purchase may be up to 15 years.