Zero Emission School Bus Acquisition and Working Group
Beginning in 2035, 75% of school bus acquisitions must be zero emission school buses. The Office of Policy Innovation and the Future will convene a working group to:
- Review different types of zero emission school buses and the benefits and challenges associated with each technology;
- Analyze financing options for the acquisition of zero emission school buses;
- Engage electric utilities and other private entities that are interested in partnering with school administrators to acquire zero emission school buses;
- Plan for the deployment of charging infrastructure to support zero emission school buses; and,
- Assess training and education options for zero emission school bus use and maintenance.
The working group must report its findings in a plan to the Maine Joint Standing Committee on Transportation by December 7, 2022.
The Maine Board of Education may obtain loans or enter into a lease-purchase agreement to acquire zero emission school buses. The term of the loan or lease purchase may be up to 15 years.
(Reference Senate Bill 1579, 2022 and Maine Revised Statutes Title 35-A, Section 5401 and Section 10104 )