Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station Local Permitting Policies
By July 1, 2023, municipalities with populations of more than 30,000 people must adopt an ordinance that establishes a permitting procedure for the installation of curbside residential EV charging stations. The ordinance must
- Require EV charging station installation is completed by a licensed electrician;
- Require the written permission of the owner of the property on which the EV charging station will be installed;
- Establish reasonable restrictions on the type of EV charging stations that may be installed;
- Provide that the municipality must approve or deny a permit within 90 days of receipt of a permit application; and,
- Provide that an EV charging station may not affect a proposed State right-of-way or easement area without approval by the Department of Transportation.