Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Infrastructure Promotion
The Maryland Zero Emission Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council (ZEEVIC) promotes the use of ZEVs, including electric vehicles (EVs) and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEV), in the state. Specific responsibilities of ZEEVIC include the following:
- Develop policies and an action plan to promote and facilitate the integration of ZEVs into the Maryland transportation network;
- Assist in developing and coordinating statewide standards for streamlined permitting and installation of electric vehicle charging and hydrogen fueling equipment;
- Develop recommendations for a statewide EV charging and FCEV refueling infrastructure plan, including standard pricing information displays;
- Increase and support consumer awareness and ownership of ZEVs through public outreach;
- Recommend incentives to support private-sector investment in ZEVs;
- Develop targeted policies to support fleet purchases of ZEVs;
- Develop charging solutions for multiunit dwellings;
- Encourage local and regional efforts to promote the use of ZEVs;
- Develop model procurement practices for light-duty vehicles that include an evaluation of the vehicle lifecycle costs inclusive of estimated fuel cost over the anticipated life of the vehicle;
- Recommend policies that support EV charging and FCEV fueling from clean energy sources;
- Establish performance measures for meeting ZEV related employment, infrastructure, and regulatory goals; and
- Pursue other policies, goals, and objectives that promote the adoption of ZEVs.
The Maryland Department of Transportation must provide staff support to ZEEVIC with the assistance of the Maryland Energy Administration and the Maryland Public Service Commission. For more information, including interim reports, see the Maryland Zero Emission Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council website and the MarylandEV website.
Type: Laws and Regulations
Enacted: May 19, 2011
Amended: May 8, 2020
Technologies: EVs, Hydrogen Fuel Cells, PHEVs
See all Maryland Laws and Incentives.