Electric Vehicle Charging for Multifamily Housing
Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations for multifamily housing—also called multi-unit dwellings (MuDs)—such as condos or apartments, provide property owners with a unique way to help attract and retain residents and foster an environmentally sustainable community. Multifamily housing owners face unique considerations when installing charging stations, ranging from parking and electrical service access to billing and legal concerns. Use the resources below to learn more about best practices for installing multifamily housing charging stations or get started by downloading the Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Guidelines for Multi-unit Dwellings.
Resources for Multifamily Housing Owners
Multifamily housing owners, managers, and related organizations, such as homeowner associations, can use the resources below to assess the need for EV charging stations. In addition, building owners may be able to take advantage of state or utility incentives for installing charging infrastructure.
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Guide for Property Owners, Managers and Homeowner Associations
- Multifamily Housing How-To Guide for EV Readiness
- Charging Infrastructure Procurement and Installation
- EV Charging at Multifamily Dwellings.
Resources for Multifamily Housing Residents
Multifamily housing residents can learn more about the benefits of EV charging, and help your community become EV-ready. Download the following reports to get started:
- California Plug-In Electric Vehicle Collaborative’s Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Guide for Residents of Multi-Unit Dwellings
- EV Charging Access for Renters: A Guide to Questions, Strategies, and Possible Next Steps.
Multifamily Housing Case Studies
Learn how multifamily housing owners across the country have successfully implemented EV charging for their residents using the case studies below:
- Dallas Prioritizes Equitable Access for EV Charging in Multifamily Housing
- Multifamily Housing Procurement Case Study: Green Rock Apartments
- Overcoming Barriers to Electric Vehicle Charging in Multi-Unit Dwellings: A Westside Cities Case Study
- Increasing EV Charging Access at Multi-Unit Dwellings
- Muir Commons: A Case Study in Multi-Unit Dwelling EV Infrastructure